Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tiramisu


Rich mascarpone mixed with eggs and marsala layered with savoiardi biscuits soaked in coffee this lovely dessert really hits the spot after a big Italian meal. Translated straight from Italian it means "pick me up" and it sure does. In Florence last year we spent most of our holiday eating and drinking and I would not be lying if I told you I had tiramisu nearly every day. Tiramisu would in my opinion be a grown up dessert and I used not to like it because of the strong flavours of coffee and alcohol, but it seems the more I have it the stronger I like the coffee to be and I am not shy with the alcohol. At the moment I have no marsala at home but I use coffee liquor and whiskey instead, work just fine. On top I also grated some very dark chocolate to give it a little extra kick. Here is a recipe for 4 portions.

250 grams mascarpone
2 eggs, separated
4tbsp icing sugar
whiskey/coffee liquor

8 savoiardi biscuits
200ml strong coffee+whiskey/coffee liquor
cocoa powder

Beat egg yolks and 2 tbsp of the icing sugar until pale. Add mascarpone and continue to beat until thick. Add coffee liquor or whiskey to taste. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks appear and add 2 tbsp of the icing sugar and continue to whisk it to a firm meringue. Gently fold in the meringue to the mascarpone-mix.

Dip the savoiardi biscuits in coffee flavoured with whiskey/coffee liquor. Put biscuits in the bottom of a large dish or in portion glasses and top with the mascarpone-mix. Put one more layer of bicuits before topping with the remaining mascarpone-mix. Chill for at least two hours before dusting with cocoa powder and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment