Monday, July 18, 2011

About soufflé...

Usually I do not put up posts on my blog unless I have a picture to present with the recipe. This post is different though, this is just me not being able to help myself from going on about the most wonderful dessert I had last night. I want to tell everyone about my success in making a souffle. But no, there is no recipe, and no picture. That will all come when I decide to make this again.

It all started with Martin deciding to cook us dinner, a real treat for me since I do most of the cooking in this house. So there he was cooking up a lovely Vietnamese stir fry that has become his signature dish, it is really tasty but still quite light so after dinner we were both looking for a little sweet or something to round up our meal with. I was happy to come up with something yummy for dessert and I decided to go for something I have been wanting to make for a good while now.

Here is the part when I confess something I am not proud of; until yesterday I had never tasted a soufflé. Ok, more precise, I have cooked soufflés in places I worked in, I have had a tiny bite but no, I have not ever ordered this fluffy, light dessert in a restaurant or made it at home and actually savoured the whole delight. Yesterday it all happened, I made it from scratch, cooked it (lying on the floor looking into the oven to make sure it was rising the way it should), I even took it out and was able to leave it for a couple of minutes before digging straight into it and oh!! There it was, a perfectly, not sinking, light raspberry dream with tiny chocolate pieces coming through it.

I made them quite big and was worried we might not be able to finish them, I even told Martin he could leave some if he was not enjoying it. That was before we tasted it, because when we did the room went quiet and we scraped the dishes in the end to get the most out of it. It was unlike anything else we ever ate. It was just melting on the tongue and I kept wanting more and more after each bite.

Now some of you might think I'm crazy, because you all know how to make souffles with your hands tied back and just don't understand all the fuzz I have created around this subject. Some of you might just be terrified of the whole procedure of making something that involves buttering ramekins, folding egg whites and for gods sake no opening of the oven unless you know for sure the dessert is ready to take out! I feel for both parts here because I am a somewhat mix between both opinions, I used to feel it was a lot of hassle and too many moments to pay attention to. But I can also safely say that it is not rocket science, just a little bit of common sense and a lot of attention paid to the recipe.

So go on, find a flavour that you like, find a soufflé recipe with this flavour and go ahead and make them. You will get standing ovations, or at least very pleased and impressed guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment